These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Friday, November 09, 2007

Things that go *BARK* in the night

Jack,

Last evening we were getting ready for bed and about to brush our teeth when you got quiet and were obviously listening to something.

“Doggy. Doggy bark.”

I listened, too, and could hear a dog barking in the distance. Obviously someone had left it outside and it wanted to come in so it was trying to drive the owner crazy until they let him inside to shut him up…

“Yes, you are right. That is a doggy.”“Doggy baaaaad” you said and your eyes got big and you came close and put your arms around my neck and gave me a tight hug.

“The doggy isn’t bad, Jack – he’s just loud – that’s all.”

“Doggy loooooud. Doggy baaaaad!” (your eyes were still big and you held onto me with your face removed just enough to stare me right in the eyes to make sure I understood what you were telling me. Mommy - this dog is obviously from the bowels of hell.)

“No, honey. You don’t need to be scared. The doggy isn’t bad, it’s just loud. You know how we are loud when we say “YOU HURT YOUR WHAT?!?” and that’s just being silly? It’s not bad…. Maybe the doggy is just being silly!”

You pause now and smile a little at the Mater reference and mutter “you huht yo waaaat?”
Then the dog barks outside again and you are again hugging me tightly and eyes big as you look in the direction of the window.

“Doggy loooooud.”“Yes.” I decide to try a different tactic. “But the doggy is FAAAAAAR away. Very far away! The only reason we hear him is because he’s so loud. You don’t need to worry.”

So, last night you slept in my room.

Hopefully Cujo doesn’t continue to scare you or Mommy’s going to have to get out her can of whup-ass! (does that phrase date me or make me a loser? I can’t decide….Maybe it’s both…)

Love,

Mommy

No comments: