These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Segue

Jack,

I recently bought you this book.
I love cats and we have several. I thought you would enjoy this book.

Walking by, Daddy picked it up and said "Look! Someone wrote a book about our basement!"

insert wry smile here....

Enter segue:

We currently have four cats.
Yeah, four.
Don't tell me you agree with your Daddy on this or you are GROUNDED!

Our oldest pet, Lilith, is about 14 years old.She was about two when I adopted her from the Humane Society. Clay and I weren't married yet and I was in my first apartment. She was my first pet that wasn't a hamster. Lillith had been a city stray that had a litter of kittens before she was brought to the humane society and then neutered. Because of this, she has a big belly that she has never been able to lose. She's a sweet cat, but she'll turn on you suddenly and bite you if she suddenly decides that the attention she was begging for is no longer wanted in that particular second.You call her Momma Cat.

The second oldest cat that we own is Darla.She was a kitten when we adopted her from the Humane Society. She came into the family about 11 years ago. She is part Siamese and very sweet. She has always been very needy. If you are in a room, she's circling your feet repeatedly trying to get your attention and meowing at you. Darla is the only animal that we own that will come up to you specifically. She will let you hold onto her. She would even let you do this when you were younger and had a tendency to grab onto a fistful of fur. I call her "Jack's Cat".

The third cat that we own is Dexter.Dexter is 10 years old. Dexter was a kitten when we adopted him from the Humane Society because he was considered "not adoptable". Your Daddy picked him for me because he had gone to the Humane Society and someone was bringing in a box of kittens. One of them was too skittish to put out for adoption and your Daddy decided he was the one for me. Dexter has never been very social. He's also never been that smart.Dexter has repeatedly rubbed up against dusty concrete after bathing so that about once every 6 months, his back fur is a mass of concrete and I have to hold him down and shave all his back hair. I'd call him Einstein but..... Oh, wait. That's right. NO, I WOULDN'T!
You call him Daddy cat. snicker...
The last cat that we own is a charity case that is entirely mine.Her name is Missy and she is a feral cat that I trapped and rescued when we lived at our house in the city. Missy is a sad case. She is blind and is undersized from malnutrition that she had when she was little and I found her. Also, her mother cat had some sort of feline disease that she may have inherited. I took her to the Humane Society and they gave her medicine for all things curable. As for the blindness, all I can do is clean her eyes when I get the chance and make sure they don't get worse. They told me that she would be put down - NO QUESTION - no matter where I took her, so she became mine.
She is okay when she is in familiar environments like the basement. She knows her way around and doesn't run into things and knows where her food and water is. But, if she gets nervous or upset, she'll forget some of that and run into things in her fear and desperation to escape potential threats. You certainly can't blame her seeing as she has no other line of defense than to be mean and to run.
Missy will let me come around her, but only using extreme caution. Other than that - she enjoys the comfort of the other family cats, but would prefer to be left alone. She's been dealt a bad hand in life, but she is working with what she has and one of those ways she survives is by being a bitch.
Hey, you have to respect that! This cat beat incredible odds and is living in comfort. I'm proud of her. :) She's a fighter. I like that about her!
Okay, so - why blog about these cats?
You have definitely become more aware of them and love them, but they rarely come up in these entries. I wanted to blog about them so you would be aware that this is your family as you know it right now. Animals are included as family. When you look back, you may not see them much, but they are important supporting roles. They are there and you know them and love them and - hopefully, are even learning a thing or two from them!
Love,
Mommy

No comments: