These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I Bonker You!

Jack,
You know that episode of the Simpson's early on in the series where the family goes to family therapy together and they hit each other with padded bats and eventually end up shocking each other? Well, this post reminds me of that episode. (Your Daddy will be so proud of me for referencing the Simpson's! D'OH!)

"I BONKER YOU, MOMMY!"
Ah, the beauty of those three little words! (yes, I know the "Mommy" at the end makes it four. Stop giving me such a hard time! You KNOW what I mean!!)
The balloon bounding off of me that follows starts a little war of sorts. These 3 words start off a scenario of volleying balloons at each other in a semi-acceptable blowing-off-steam sort of fashion that is both entertaining and amusing to the participants. The beauty of the game:
  1. You get to physically aim and hit each other with objects with no concern as to actual harm coming to them thus allowing you to let off steam with each other and not in a harmful way.

  2. There's little else to mention because the above is such a powerful release but I feel compelled to place another reason here: IT'S FUN! There! That's a good reason! :)

Drawbacks to said game:

  1. When you don't understand that this game doesn't transfer to other circular objects such as large balls and you attempt to play said game with your Aunt Lisa who is in the middle of breast feeding your cousin, Charlie, when a ball is volleyed at her head. (FYI - you missed and she laughed it off - but this was an example of a DRAWBACK to this game).

  2. When a balloon pops and sets you to crying because the act of the volleying off of a person and then an EXPLOSION?!? A little much for any kid to take....

Still. I can't be convinced that there isn't a more cathartic effect to this game - at least for me - and so it continues. Ready.... AIM.... BONK!

Ahhhhhhh! Much better! :)

Love,

Mommy

No comments: