These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Monday, November 12, 2007

Ghost Stories

Jack,

I have been playing a game with you lately that reminds me of sleepovers at friend's houses where you hold a flashlight under your face to give a spooky effect and tell ghost stories and scare each other silly.The effect of Halloween hasn't worn off for you. Lately, things have been scaring you more. There are the dogs that bark at night and the idea of crickets outside really freak you out. You'll say ominously "crickets outside, Mommy...." and I'll reassure you that they have gone to sleep for the winter so they ARE outside, but they are sleeping. Also, you will hear other sounds at night that you will acknowledge with a "You hear dat?!?"But this game you have started is a new one that is more exciting for you than scary although I think you recognize the chill factor.You have this whirling light up baton of sorts that you have become re-enchanted with. I think I originally got it for you for your first Christmas because of the lights and motion and you loved it then and then forgot about it until now.You found that if you take it into the closet and then press the button to operate it, you can really see the lights and get a slightly eerie effect from the experience. You have decided you LOVE this.Scene: Jack's bedroom

Jack: "Mommy! Go closet!"
Me: "Okay. You coming?"
you just silently follow me without answering and hold onto your baton toy.
**quiet grunting while I squeeze myself into the closet so you can close the door**
Jack: "Mommy. You Witch!"
Me: in high pitched character voice "heeeee heeeee heeeeee" with light up toy by my face so you can see my witchy expression.
Jack: "Daddy Ghost, Mommy!"
Me: in lower pitched voice as stand-in for Daddy "booooooooooooooooooooo"
Jack: "I MONSTER! ROOOOOOOOOWWWWR!!!"
Me: "Oh, my goodness! What a scary monster!"
Here you are checking it out in the light of day and looking a little Star Wars-ish. I can almost imagine it's a lightsaber and you're learning how to power it with your mind.That would certainly be the reason for this level of concentration!So bright and shiny. Can. Not. Look. Away.Cute as ever!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: