These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

First Sleepover

Jack,

Last night you had your first sleepover at Kelly and Bobby's house while your Daddy and I went out for a night on the town. The knowledge that I wasn't going to have to wake up at 5 made me a little drunk with the unlimited prospects of a night out. Well.... that and the Smirnoff Ice, Chocolate Martini and Tom Collins..... but I digress.

I got dressed up and we went out. I knew you were having a wonderful time, so I didn't worry. Your Daddy and I decided we would get a bite to eat. We went to Maggiano's in Clayton and grabbed a stool at the bar. We ordered drinks and appetizers and talked and snuggled. It was wonderful. We stayed there for almost two hours.After that, I wanted to head to Westport. I was thinking we could go bar hopping and people watch and enjoy doing that and then grab a show at the comedy club. Well, we didn't end up doing that. We got distracted from our plan and I decided that I'd rather go see a movie so we went and saw Fred Claus. (Yeaaaaah, ummmmm.... spare yourselves.)After that we headed home and went to bed. It was a five hour date and we were up past midnight. That hasn't happened in a very long time! I'm so appreciative of our opportunity to get to do that.You had a blast with Kelly and Bobby!

From the moment your Daddy dropped you off, you were excited to be with them and didn't seem concerned at all that he was leaving. Turns out spending the night at their house wasn't a stretch for you. You did wake up once in the night and got up around 5 and snuggled with them until 7 when you were up for good and played with them until we came to get you around 8:30. Funny how a little change in pattern like that can help to give you such a fresh outlook and appreciation of what you have.I realized seeing you with Kelly and Bobby that you really are such a fantastic little boy - you're smart and sensitive and respond well to others.Also, I know that I'm guilty of taking your Daddy for granted. Having an entire evening to talk and enjoy each other's company made me feel like I was falling in love again. It is exactly what I needed and I hope for many more opportunities like that one.

Hopefully, someday, your Daddy and I can offer you a reprieve like that so you can reaquaint yourself with your spouse outside of the parenting role. It's wonderful to take a moment to realize that the person you fell in love with, however changed the scenario that we are in now, is still there with you and you love them more than ever.

Love,

Mommy

No comments: