These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Jack's First Valentine's Day!


2-14-06

Jack,

Today is your very first Valentine's Day and I have just one question for you - will you be mine??? I LOVE YOU!!!

Since you have come into your Daddy and my life, you've changed our lives for the better in ways we never thought possible. You give life meaning like it never had before. On this - your first Valentine's day - your Daddy and I want you to know that we are so glad you are our little guy!

I know that it's not possible to make someone happy all the time, but when you grow up and look back over your years, I hope you find that you were more happy than sad and I hope you know that if there was ever a time when you weren't happy with an answer that your Daddy and I gave you, that there was always a good reason for it because nothing is more important to either of us than what is best for you! We want you to be the happiest, healthiest and most wonderful little boy that you can be and that you are already.

I make you a promise on this Valentine's Day that you can take to heart for always. I will always listen to you when you talk - I will hear your frustration and pain and I will take to heart any confidence you trust me with. I promise to be open to hearing my own shortcomings and making every effort to improve on them. I want you to look back one day and think - my parents did a great job raising me. That is my goal. I want you to want to be like us - not exactly. I realize that no one wants to be exactly like their parents, but the best parts of us. I want you to take the best from your Daddy and me and make those a part of you. You can disregard the parts of us that need work. :)

We love you so much, Baby Jack - and we are going to take you out to a nice Valentine's Day dinner tonight with your Mommy and Daddy and we'll celebrate by coming home and falling asleep together before we transfer you to your crib with a goodnight kiss from us both. Happy Valentine's Day, my little sweetheart!!!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: