These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Friday, February 10, 2006


12-29-05

Well, your first Christmas has come and gone and we had such a wonderful time celebrating on Christmas morning just you, me and your Daddy. We opened your presents and played with you on the floor with them. I thought you would be more interested in the boxes than the actual toys themselves, but I think your Daddy and I know what types of things that you like because you loved the presents you received from Santa and from us.

You received a toy vacuum cleaner. You love our real vacuum cleaner and are always trying to play with it so you got a toy vacuum cleaner for Christmas that makes whirring noises like the real vacuum does, but it also talks to you and you love to push it around on the floor.

We also got you a push toy/bike that has all kinds of entertainment on it – things to turn that click and make sounds. You love it because you are almost able to walk and this is a great vehicle to help you practice with!

You also got a police car that is rubber and when you bump the front bumper it makes siren noises that you grin at. You also seem to like to run it into things to start the siren noise again.

You also received a light up and talking telephone that you probably play with the most and you can push it around the floor all you want.

You got a portable push button sing along toy that plays Old McDonald and plays songs and animal sounds.

You also got a tub of Mr. Potato Head parts and you LOVE pulling the glasses off of the google eyes on the Mr. Potato Heads that we put together for you.

You also got match box cards from us to push around and a Koosh ball among other things – including a Dorah doll that you can take in the bath with you.

Your Daddy and I realize that we went a little overboard as did Santa with all of the gifts that you got this year, but we think you deserve them because you are the best little boy in the world!!!

Your Uncle Matt and Aunt Lisa got you a lot of wonderful gifts, but among them are a drum and tambourine that are battery operated and make music when you thump on them. You love these toys because they have googly eyes and light up and play music and you love to play with them.

Your Aunt Kelly and Uncle Bobby gave you a phone that your Daddy and I could record a message on for you. We recorded a message that goes:

“Jack – it’s Mommy! I love you!”
“Jack – it’s Daddy! I love you!”

We plan on sending this with you in the mornings when you have to go to one of your Grandma’s houses while we are at work so you can hear our voices during the day and know that we love you and are thinking of you.

Your Aunt Erin and Uncle Brett bought you some CD’s to listen to because you LOVE our CD player and are always trying to turn on the music and dance to it.

Uncle Brett’s parents came in for Christmas and they brought you a wooden tool set also which you have loved. You especially seem to love trying to gnaw on the hammer.

Your Grandma and Grandpa Rose got you a Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer DVD for you to watch and your Grandma and Grandpa Dougherty got you some clothes for you to wear.

Your Daddy and I think you are the greatest gift that we could ever have received and we spent this Christmas watching you and playing with you and feeling like the luckiest two people in the world.

I was talking with one of my co-workers the other day about different things. Different family dynamics and that kind of thing. She was saying that most of the time in her experience, when parents are angry with their children it comes down to them being afraid that the child will hurt themselves.

It really shown a light for me on the fact that I have never felt upset with you ever yet. Perhaps that is because you are so small. I’m sure as you grow and become more independent and don’t want to listen to things that your father and I tell you, there may be some moments of frustration, but it’s so hard to imagine it right now because I feel blissfully happy and grateful! Merry 1st Christmas, baby Jack! Momma loves you!!!

XXXXXOOOOOO!!!

Mommy

No comments: