These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Jack's First Flu



Oh, I don't think I have ever been so glad to see the sun come up before!

Yesterday and last evening was pretty scary for me and Daddy. You had the stomach flu yesterday and were throwing up everything we tried to feed you and having a lot of diarrhea.

I know you're probably thinking - Mom! Don't write about that... - but it's one of those things that parents go through with their children and I want you to know what it was like for me. One day - you may be up late with your child - worried and feeling desperate because there isn't much you can do to help your little one - and you can know that I've been there and you can call me!

We talked to Grandma and Grandpa Dougherty and called the exchange because we couldn't keep any liquids down in your system. The medical exchange instructed us to take you to the hospital, but we went to your Grandparents for them to look you over first. They said that you were moderately dehydrated, but if we took you to the hospital, we may have to wait long hours, you would maybe be put on an IV and be exposed to the other illnesses that were at the hospital, when we could take you home where you would be more comfortable and keep trying to give you small doses of fluids until we could keep them down. Grandpa checked your heart rate and said that it was higher than normal - you had a little tachycardia and your eyes were sunken from the mild dehydration. It hurt my heart to see you feeling so sick and unable to eat.

Daddy and I brought you home and took you into our bed. We put a bunch of blankets and towels under you so that you could vomit and have diarrhea accidents that we could quickly clean up and put down new towels and blankets and we all made it through the night together.

Your Aunt Kelly came by and brought you Pedialyte from the store while I stayed home with you (she also brought some chocolate treats for your father and me to help us get through the night, too, because she is sweet and thoughtful like that).

At about 3 AM your temperature spiked at about 103 degrees and I was very worried. We called Grandpa Dougherty and he told us to give you some infant Tylenol and change you into light weight t-shirt and diapers so that the temperature would break.

About 30 minutes later, the fever was broken and you were resting more comfortably. We got more Pedialyte in you at about 4 AM and this time - you didn't vomit. You are still having diarrhea and we'll be trying to keep you full of liquids so you can get better, but you were doing so much better this morning that I am very relieved!

Daddy called me after I had to go to work to tell me that you had woke up and were dancing to the theme song from the Simpsons and that you and Daddy were watching TV together and taking it easy. It made me so happy to hear that you are feeling more yourself again. Poor baby! Last night was tough, but you are so hearty - you just pushed right through it!

I love you, baby! I will be going home at lunch to see you and Daddy and then rushing home right after work!

I'm so glad to see your face looking colorful and full of expression again!



No comments: