These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Friday, February 10, 2006


12-19-05

Jack,

I am at work and I just got a phone call from your Aunt Kelly telling me that your Aunt Erin is going in right now to be induced with your little cousin Cal.

It brings me back to a little over 9 months ago when I was being induced with you and all the fear and excitement of the birth and the tremendous love that I felt for you. How tiny and helpless you were and how fast you have become the sweet little boy that you are.

How did I get so lucky? I can’t point to a thing that I’ve done in my life that would show that I in any way deserve to be so fortunate to have you in my life and your father. You are both so incredible!

I just spoke with your Grandma Rose who is watching you while I work and she said that you have been a happy boy all day and that you are napping right now.

I can’t wait for the upcoming Christmas break so that I can have more alone time with you.

Last night we had invited your Grandma and Grandpa Dougherty over for dinner and to see you. They came and we had a wonderful time loving you and watching you play. You were so happy and excited to have us all there showering you with attention that you were laughing and aaah-aaah’ing which you do when you are excited. I really need to video tape you when you’re doing this so we can watch it with you when you get older.

My mom (your Grandma) said later that she thought we might have invited them over to say that we were pregnant again. That is certainly NOT the case. I certainly want to have another baby, but your father and I both want to be sure that you get all of the love and attention that you require through your early years before we have another baby in the house. We don’t want to short-change you in any way, but if it happens anyway, we’ll just see that as meant to be!

I love you, baby!

Love,
Mommy

No comments: