These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Friday, February 10, 2006

12-20-05

Jack,

This morning your cousin, Calum McGrath Shank was born. I know that one day you will look back on this day and it will seem strange to you that there may have been a time when the two of you weren’t together.

I’m so excited that you are going to have a cousin so close in age to you. I grew up with a brother that was only ten months younger than me and we were so close growing up. You and Cal will only be 9 months apart and, while you aren’t brothers, I think you will be as close to brothers as true brothers can be. I hope that for you!

Knowing that Erin was in labor last night brought back memories of your birth and how – even though we were so thankful and felt so blessed when you came into our lives – that appreciation grows each day we spend with you because every day you reveal move of your personality to us and we fall in love with you more. It’s amazing that when you think you’ve reached the depths of your feelings that there is still further to go.

I’m sure one of these days you may look over my thoughts here and think that I’m corny (You may even wonder what that phrase means – it means that I’m being mushy – too sentimental…) but one day you’ll have a little one of your own and you’ll know what I mean. Especially if he’s anything like you, sweet one! J

Mommy

No comments: