These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Cut Nails

Jack,

A scene from this evening.

Setting: The Bathroom. We have our toothbrushes out and are getting ready for bed.

"Good job, Jack! Now, tonight we need to cut your nails"
You quickly turn your face completely towards mine to make sure that this is true.
"No."
"Yes, Buddy. I know you don't like it but it's time to cut your nails again."
"NO!"
"It won't take long. I'll be very careful. Come on, let's go to Mommy's bed and we can cut your nails."
"Nononononononononono"
"Jaaaaack" (I'm using my I'm-not-fooling-around deep voice here)
"Nonononononononononono"
You quickly start running in circles in the background looking for a way out because I'm in the doorframe.
You find your escape.
Much to my surprise and amusement.
"Well, shoot. Where's Jack? Jaaaaaa-aaaack! We need to cut your nails - where did you go?"
(muffled behind clothes)"nonononononononono"
"Come on, Jack. I'll let you have your binky while I cut your nails."
Silence. You contemplate this offer and peak out to see where I am.
"That's it. Come on - we'll do it really quick and I'll be so careful."
Clearly you have come to a decision that I'm not yet privy to...."Come on, Jack. It's okay."
Suddenly you emerge with this big smile on your face which completely doesn't match the conversation we were just having...

I decide not to look a gift horse in the mouth: "GOOD JOB, JACK! That's great - let's go cut your nails."

Now you are tiptoeing away from me and I finally get it. You are headed to get the binky and have no intention of getting your nails cut. Then, in a final last attempt to get out of it with charm and wit, you turn to me and say "Great job, cut nails!" as though you can trick me into thinking it's over already.

Nice try, cutie! With that little show, you almost got away with it!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: