These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Happy Halloween!

Jack,

So, last night was Halloween! You were happy with your goodies: one Dora cookie from Grandma and Grandpa Dougherty, a $5 bill from the Fichters and a goody bag of candy from Grandma and Grandpa Rose which I promptly gobbled up...

My sugar debouchery has continued into today and I'm eating all leftover Halloween candy in sight - even hoarding it at my desk as though my very energy sustenance depends on it.

I'm noticing sugar bloating around my belly. Boy, oh boy, am I going to pay for this later....

But, I digress!

Your Halloween celebration started with a little resistance. I think you were a little put off by the costume dressing. Firstly, you HATE to change clothes. You would rather be in a constant state of nudity than EVER have to change your clothes. For this reason, you weren't a huge fan of the costume OVER the clothes you were already wearing. That was, like, a LOT of clothes, even for someone that LIKED clothes - which you don't.

You started to come back around with the first treat you received - your Dora cookie. Suddenly, this holiday didn't seem so frightful anymore.
Man - you and Calum were an adorable site to see in your Buzz Lightyear and Woody costumes!

The sugar from your Dora cookie had the effect on you that sugar always has on me. You were up and on your way!

We spent a short time at a block Halloween party where you checked out the other costumed children. After checking this out, we went to see your Grandma and Grandpa Rose. They were excited to see you. I think you may have been their ONLY trick-or-treater, but I was quite helpful in consuming a lot of the chocolate out of their candy bowl.

We climbed the stairs, and played with Grandma's giraffes and had fun with them for quite some time. You were in your element - surrounded by people that you loved and that you knew loved you. You were giggling and being basically adorable.

When we finally made it home, we discovered our bowl of treats that we left out for the trick or treaters full to the brim. Your Daddy said he thought there was MORE candy in it than when we left.

Needless to say, I pity our dentist on the next visit, but we had a wonderful Halloween with you!
Happy Halloween!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: