These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Blog Therapy

Jack,

I don’t know what connotations that the phrase “Mommy Blogger” will carry when you get older, but I know what connotations it carries right now.

At this point in time, “Mommy Blogger” is about as hated a term as “Soccer Mom” which carries with it visions of Mom’s in huge minivans and SUV’s driving kids around and cutting off other drivers in their rush to get from one activity to another. Bullies of the road.

Well, I just want to put my two cents in here about “Mommy Bloggers.” I hadn’t realized they had a negative connotation until I read an entry by a lady blogger whom I greatly respect and she had taken great offense to being regarded as a Mommy Blogger. Basically, because “Mommy Bloggers” nowadays are considered a dime a dozen. Clogging up the superhighway….

I defend the army of “Mommy Bloggers” basically because I have found maintaining this blog to be incredibly therapeutic. I started this blog as a gift to you so you would have stories and insight into your childhood. I consider it to be a more in-depth baby book so to speak but it also allows me to convey my personality to your future self as I am now (who knows what a grouchy old curmudgeon I’ll become!).

As it turns out, this blog has been a gift to me as well. It has provided me with an outlet for my worries, emotions, and proud mommy moments. It has allowed me to share with the world my pride in you and everything you do. This is my mountaintop and I’m shouting from the top of it to the world that I am your Mom and I am proud of that. Look at what I created! Look at what a magnificent little person you are!

So – do I consider myself a Mommy Blogger? Yes – I do and I’m proud of that fact! I am proud to join the ranks of other women that unashamedly confess their feelings to the world and offer up viewpoints on childrearing that are brave and allow us all to feel as though we aren’t alone in our feelings and challenges. I think it makes me a better parent and that’s good for both of us!

Love,

Mommy

Postnote:

Ok - here's a sad little guilty admission. I had to send the rest of the Halloween candy to work with Daddy this morning because I woke up for the fourth consecutive morning on candy wrappers and with drool dried on my cheek from sugar bingeing the night before. I've reached a new high (or is it low) in self loathing at my inability to resist sugary sweetness. No reason to put this in here other than the fact that I'm compelled to admit my grossness and hope that I will still find love and acceptance. Pretty please? .....with sugar on top?!? :)

and now, pictures for no apparent reason!:



I got to hand it to you....

You NEVER think you are out of your element!:

As I was saying....


This is one your room teachers, Miss Cathy, who is always there when I drop you off in the morning:


UP!

DOWN!

Hey, you!.....

Come here a second....

Ummm..... Mommy? Have you ever heard of personal space?...

Playing Simpsons with Daddy:

President and founding member of the Daddy Fanclub:

Does this outfit make me look fat?

Peek-a-boo!


Cool!

No comments: