These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Leaf Piles

Jack,

I don't think anything says "Fall" to me more than leaf piles! I have great memories of jumping in big piles of leaves when I was a kid and I want you to have these memories too. It's among the best early memories I have so this makes it rank high on the scale of importance in my mind for you to have this experience.



Aunt Kelly had called us because she was raking the leaves and, like a good Aunt, she immediately thought - "the boys would LOVE this" and called us to come down and ruin her nice little piles of leaves.

Obviously, we couldn't have been HAPPIER to oblige!


This is the first year that you could actually run and so you really enjoyed the leaf piles. You don't yet have the jumping thing down, but you would run into the pile and flop over or I would pick you up and toss you into the pile.

Once in the pile, you got creative! You kicked the leaves,


rolled around in them,

and lounged comfortably on your Autumn pillow.

I can almost here you proclaiming "Oh, my gosh! I found a LEAF! NO - REALLY! A RED ONE! CHECK IT OUT!

CHARGE!!!!!

After all that fun, we had to "help" Aunt Kelly. First, we had to pull all of the sticks out of the piles. After all, Aunt Kelly was about to ACCIDENTALLY throw them out! She would have been so sad if that had happened, so we got busy rescuing the sticks from the piles.

HAD to try our hand at this "raking" business....

Had to help take some leaves out of the bag. After all - how are we supposed to jump on them when they're in there?

And gave me a full-on heart attack when you decided you needed to help Aunt Kelly clean out the gutters.

It was SO much FUN!

I'm sure Aunt Kelly wouldn't have known WHAT to do without all of our help! You're welcome, Aunt Kelly! (Oh, and thank you!) :)

Love,

Mommy

No comments: