These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Jack's Second Halloween!

Jack,

Today is Halloween! Your second ever!

I am waiting for the end of the day and evening with the anticipation that I remember having as a child. I remember once standing outside. Mom had said we could go trick or treating in five minutes which meant that we had to count to 300. I remember standing there with my siblings in full costume in the driveway counting to 300 as fast as I could.

I didn't understand and didn't want to understand the "one-one-hundred, two-one-hundred" rule of speed when counting seconds....

Well - 300!! I want to leave and have fun with you!

I picked you up at school yesterday and I think it was much easier for you yesterday than before. You had made this art project:




The teacher explained that they put glue on the paper and let the children pick out scraps and place them on the paper where they wanted them. When I arrived and started gathering your things from your cubby, you grabbed up this painting and held it up for me to see and said "OOOOOOOH!!!" as though you couldn't believe how pretty it was.


I was SO proud of you both for doing it and for being proud enough to show it to me. What a little man!

Well - Daddy finished carving the pumpkins a couple of nights ago.

Boy, I know I'll start sounding like a broken record, but the difference between last year and this year is huge. Last year, you barely paid any attention to the pumpkins next to you. This year, they are your entire focus. You actually even reached in them and got a little surprise at one point (you sucked in air and looked hurt and turned my direction in disbelief like... Mommy, you won't believe what this crappy thing DID to me!).

Tonight, I'm sure I'll take like a billion more of these!

Oh! I repaired the Woody hat with tape so it will be okay to wear tonight.... see if you can tell when you see the pictures! :)

290.....291.....292.....

See you soon, little man!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: