These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Family Date Night

Jack,

On occassion, we will have a family date night. Usually, they are unplanned and coincide with Daddy and I being at the end of our responsibility ropes and wanting to have some fun. That full moon took place last night!

Yesterday was a gorgeous day! Here we are in the midst of November and the temperature was a balmy 75 degrees without a cloud in the sky. So - what did we do for our date? If you guessed something outdoors, I don't blame you. If you were speaking of normal, sane persons - I'm sure this would have been the right answer.

But you are speaking of us....

We went to a movie!! A nice, indoors, air-conditioned-when-it-doesn't-need-to-be, sitting-on-your-butt-for-hours movie! :) (If you know us, though, your Daddy and I are movie buffs. I think it's our favorite thing to do and we rarely get the opportunity to go out to the theater anymore, SOOOOOOO we did yesterday!)

I think you made it 3/4 of the way through the movie, which was REALLY impressive!


Here you are grabbing a hug from Daddy. You were thrilled for the opportunity to have him tonight. He had skipped his class last night in order to spend more time with you and you ate it up!

The movie was Flushed Away which includes toilets, potty humor, rats and a frog. What's not to like for a toddler?


Once we were out of the movie, we played around the theater... Here is Daddy about to scare the be-jesus out of this complete stranger because he is hiding from you...hilarious!

Here you are coming to look for him, but Daddy has already stopped playing out of embarrassment after the stranger and him met and parted ways....

The mall was already decorating for Christmas and so you HAD to check out the heavy equipment!After this we pretty much ran through the stores at the mall wreaking all kinds of havoc. Picking up toys, running away from each other down the aisles, eliciting cute little "awwww"s from some of the employees and horrendous evil eye stares from others as we rocked the boats in their little oceans....


Try to keep up!!!WHEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!Of course, we couldn't resist stopping to check out some trucks, lawnmowers and other fun mechanical toys we encountered in a prominent display on one of the aisles.And then....fun on the escalators, of course! Have you ever wanted to play on these things? They are such fun! UP and DOWN, UP and DOWN, UP and DOWN.... Feeling seasick yet?

And that was our night in a nutshell. When we got home, we kind of took it easy and fell asleep together watching TV. If our brains turn to mush and leak out of our ears today, I wouldn't be terribly surprised.

Today I dropped you off at daycare and said goodbye before leaving. You cried so hard that I thought my heart would break. I'm terribly worried that you think I don't love you when I have to walk away and go to work and can't stay to comfort you when you are so upset. I talked to your Daddy about this and he said the right thing as always. He said that I should take it as a compliment that you have so much fun with us that you don't want to be apart. Awwww! I hope that's true.

Love,

Mommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's hope the CCJ Grad student who spent the last year researching religious orientation of violent offenders doesn't read your blog - he may not appreciate that I picked "Flushed Away" over his presentation last night.

Anonymous said...

He may forgive you when he sees you scared the be-jesus out of one of them by jumping out from behind a fake toilet... :)