These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Great UPSTAIRS!

Jack,

Ever since you were a small baby and because I always felt it was a criteria in the steps to being a "Good Mommy" I have had baby gates on the stairs. My siblings have the same at their houses. Being little and just learning the teetering steps of toddlerhood, stairs are a risky business. Slippery socks or a slightly off balance step could send you hurtling downwards onto your head. Therefore, the upstairs has always been mostly off limits to you unless I am along for the trip.
Lately, your balance has progressed so much, that you may not be considered a "toddler" anymore.

Your steps are decisive and there are almost no more of those missteps which result in bumps and bruises, so baby gates have started to come down.

Not all the time, but sometimes and you have been EXPLORING!


Here you are checking out every nook and cranny of Bobby and Kelly's upstairs.

Sweet! You found the motherload!!

Jackpot! I knew exploring upstairs would be worth it!


Cool! - A BED!

Let's jump on it!


Here you are carrying the exploration on over at Erin. Brett and Calum's house:

See if you can keep up!

Aren't you SO EXCITED?!?

Here's the bathroom....

What's that?

It's Calum's Room! (Can I just interject and say - see how clean it is? No toys strewn all over peppered with dirty laundry.... I'm starting to feel bad.)

HAD to try out Calum's crib!

Okay - that's enough of that! (Oh, god. I think I just saw my life flash before me in the realization that you are going to be needing a toddler bed soon, and I'm in NO WAY at all prepared for that!)

Now Erin and Brett's bedroom.... (Oh, thank GOD! I see a dirty shirt on the bed and it looks a little unmade. Feeling a little better now, although THAT'S ALL?!? Where's the clothing mound? Where's the overflowing garbage can? Where's the stray dishes?)

Look! A CALUM CAGE!!

Look - I'm in jail! Help! Get me out of here! Hahahaha..... ummmm..... joke's over.... a little help here?

Now that Pandora's box is open, watch out world! The upstairs is now YOUR DOMINION! ALL SECRETS WILL BE REVEALED!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: