These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Compromise

Jack,

As the weather grows colder and colder, our ventures outdoors have had to become less and less frequent. This is not something that you have been readily accepting of. Sometimes when it is cold, dark and wet outside, you can find yourself plastered against the front inside door, palms slapping dramatically against the glass while a devastated wail pierces the air.


I couldn't stand being the horrible mom anymore. I had to come up with some sort of a compromise without allowing you to run through the rain in freezing weather with scissors in one hand and chocolate cake in the other. Okay - so I took a little artistic liberty with that last one, but if I can't maintain SOME control, my point is that I won't be able to have ANY.



I don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner, but the solution wasn't that complicated. I simply moved one of our chairs into position by the porch window.

Voila! Happy child!



Now, you can see exactly what is going on outside, watching cars go by, planes fly overhead, and the luckier children on the block play outdoors (like that last one?).



Now the only challenge I have left to figure out is how to keep the dogs from ousting you from your new perch as they also find the solution genius and don't see why they shouldn't be allowed the same permissions seeing as how they have family seniority over you.



You can kind of see their point, can't you? :)



Love,

Mommy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you look at the last picture on the post you can see Aunt Erin & Uncle Brett's house in the background on the right. If you look really close you can see them in the window looking at us through binoculars... creeps.