These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Incident #2

Jack,

Yesterday I went to pick you up again and couldn't find your chart.

Then, I noticed a chart with a folded sheet on it. My heart dropped into my feet. While I've only gotten one other - I can now recognize an incident report immediately.

This time, you weren't bitten. You had been pushed on the playground and fallen and hit your head.

I asked your teacher, Melissa, if you were having trouble with a particular friend. I immediately thought that you might already have encountered a daycare bully. She said she didn't think it was an issue with any particular child. She said that incident reports can come in a rash and then you might not get one for a month.

I have to admit that this didn't make me feel much better. One of the reasons that I thought daycare would be benefitial for you was the socialization aspect with the other children, but if all you are learning from them is biting and pushing and not sharing - I am having serious second thoughts. I know these are age appropriate struggles, but you are a sweety pie who hasn't been struggling with these and I'm really worried that they'll start occuring because you are witnessing them and being introduced to them in the daycare setting.

All I know is this: I better stop seeing those incident reports for a while.

I want to be able to feel good about dropping you off at daycare, that you would be having a wonderful day with fun activities and the company of friends. Right now I'm not convinced of that.

I just want what's best for you! (oh, god! Did I really just say that? I'm such a mom!)

Love,
Mommy

No comments: