These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Two Little Toddler Boys

Jack,

Your cousin, Calum and you are close in age and love each other very much. All you have to do is say the name of one of you to the other and it's instant excitement. You run to the window to see if Calum's there and say:

We put on shoes, Mommy!
We go outside!
Go see Calum!

....an aside: check out that pride at having tossed a balloon almost into orbit!....

My understanding is that Calum reacts much the same since I have seen him standing at the window with a huge smile on his face when we pull up in the car and I know he calls you "Ack!" so I imagine he's inside calling "ACK! ACK!" like he's working on a challenging piece of phlegm.Toddlers! You got to love them! (most of the time, that is) :)And, while you DO interact, most of what you do is parallel play. Doing the same things in the same rooms (most of the times)but not really together because the instant you start playing together, you tend to want the thing that the other one is already playing with.One thing that both you and Calum have in your gene pool is an inherited desire to dance and sing which you both get from your Moms.TRUST ME.
It's true.That inability to keep yourself from moving to a song even when you just look like your having a seizure or doing an inappropriate imitation of Stevie Wonder - that's all from the Mom's side.Here's a test. Sing the first verse of a song and, if we know it, then myself, Aunt Erin AND Aunt Kelly will pick up the tune and sing it in full in all loud voiced enthusiasm and, if we are particularly fond of it there will be dancing.You'll roll your eyes and join your Daddy in watching from the sidelines and making comments about voice lessons and putting the dying cat out of it's misery and so forth. You will be completely embarrassed (but deep down you'll want to join in) because of those genes.

Someday, join in. Like this!

Love,

Mommy

1 comment:

Erin said...

Bridget, you have no idea how hard I laughed at these videos. Oh my goodness, my eyes are still teared up! For some reason, this is much funnier in video than it was at the time. Thanks for posting this because I obviously didn't adequately appreciate the humor at the moment.