These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Monday, December 10, 2007

Mother's Love

Jack,

Yesterday you were putting together a little potato head and put the mouth in upside down. You looked at it and considered it for a minute. The following conversation followed:

“Mommy. Tator Tot saaaaaad.”

“Is Tator Tot sad? Why is he sad?”

“Tator Tot got boo-boo.”

“Where?”

“Hee-yo.” (point indicates on the toe of his foot)

(I lean over and kiss it)
*MMMMWAAH*

“There! All better!”

“Mommy. Tator Tot saaaaad.”

“Tator Tot is still sad?”

“yes”

(I’m out of ideas so I wait for you to come up with one.)

“Tator Tot needs Mommy.”

“Does Tator Tot need his Mommy?”

“yes”

“Okay. Let’s find his Mommy!”

(You assemble a Potato Head with a light saber from the Darth Tator and a gross arm hanging off the end of it for Mommy Tator’s nose. Mommy Tator is given to me and I have her hug Tator Tot.)

“Tator Tot saaaaaad.”

(I look at the clock and see it’s naptime. Coincidence? I think not….)

“I think Tator Tot is tired. Let’s put Tator Tot and Mommy Tator down for a nap together and I bet they are all better after naptime.”

(You set them up on the sofa pillow and bunch a blanket around them and we head up to bed)
Can’t you see the caring concern in the eyes of Mommy Tator?
It was only then that I realized the issue was the mouth in upside down so while you were sleeping….. *flip*!And when you woke up, Tator Tot was happy again. Naps DO help afterall! Let’s have that be the lesson of all this, okay?

Love,

Mommy

No comments: