These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Friday, December 28, 2007

Boys and Girls

Jack,

For some reason lately, it’s impossible to convince you that April is a girl and Hercie is a boy. You just KNOW that we are trying to put one over on you.You will say he when referring to April or call her the Daddy and Herc is she or the Mommy.We’ll tell you that April is actually the girl dog and Herc is the boy dog and you’ll say “NOOOOOOOOOO. Apoh Daddy dog, Hercie Mommy dog!”I’ve tried to figure out where this comes from and I think it’s a combination of things. First simply due to the physical characteristics that you can see and compare to your own Mommy and Daddy and other Mommy’s and Daddy’s. April is simply bigger and Herc is smaller. In our families, the women tend to be smaller than the men and that is the case with your Daddy and Mommy.Then, there are the personalities. April is easy going and loving and Herc is excitable and jumpy and playful. I think those kind of match your Daddy and me but in the opposite way. (April is like Daddy and Herc is like Mommy. I know - you followed it, but I clarified JUST IN CASE.) So, I think this is another reason for your absolute unshakable belief that April is a boy and Herc is the girl.And since they really don’t know the difference……So say you and so shall it be done!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: