These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Same the same

Jack,

We celebrated your cousin Calum's second birthday tonight and it made me think of.... well.... how close you are in age and how soon you will be turning three! It also made me think about the 2nd year and what that brings with it - the challenges and progress over the course of the year and all that.It also reminded me how being that close in age is a thrill as you grow up. I was only 10 months older than my brother, Matt, so there was always an overlap of a couple of months when we would be the same age. It was also a beacon of a reminder for me that I could start getting excited about the approach of my own birthday. My brother would open a present on his birthday and I'd be thinking. Mine will be next! Mine will be next!Not to mention being that close in age and everything is an almost immediate point of bonding. You can't help but be that close with a family member that you have so much in common with. Shared timelines mean very similar milestones, likes and dislikes, friends and experiences which are all bonding points.Yes, the age difference will seem to grow smaller and smaller over the years, but right now, the difference that one year can make is quite a lot. I liken the last year to that of the "end of the honeymoon" part of a marriage where the personality develops and the people in the family must make adjustments in themselves and the home to accomodate the new personality that is now in the family.But it's also a time of developing communication and make believe play and desiring to do things for oneself. Dancing and singing and chasing and taking turns. When we read bedtime stories now, I read the book first and then it's your turn and I get to hear your version of the story, some recited from memory and other parts inspirations from the illustrations or some take on how the story SHOULD go that are always entertaining.Tonight we discussed setting out cookies for Santa, carrots for the reindeer and you added a plate of alligators and snakes which you decided NEEDED to be included, inspiring your Daddy to ask you just what you were trying to do to Santa anyways?So, on his second birthday, we wish Calum lots of love and an exciting next year. We wish you smiles and thrills and hope that the growing pains and nosebleeds stay to a minimum!

And now, just because, I present to you.....*drumroll, please!*.......JACK IN THE BOX!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: