These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Christmas Concert in your yarmulke

Jack,

Last night was your Christmas Concert.
As it turns out, I had eaten some leftover Thanksgiving turkey the night before and was very sick with some food poisoning and some sort of virus which meant that I had a fever in addition to the cramping and muscle aches and running trips to the bathroom frequently with an inability to keep anything down (oh, wait. This isn't a "poor me" session. My bad.).But I was determined that you were going to get to go to your Christmas concert.And I am so glad that we did!
I had no appetite, so when I picked you up from school, I took you to McDonald's where we climbed through an indoor playground and you had a little to eat, and then we headed to the concert.
Your class sang I'm A Little Snowflake to the tune of I'm A Little Teapot and it went like this:

I'm a little snowflake, Look at me.
No other snowflake is just like me.
I am so unique, as you can see.
And just as special as I can be!
As usual, when there is a large group of children getting ready for a concert, there is mass confusion and therefore, there is a lot of waiting.And waiting.And waiting.And more waiting.While we were waiting, you were watching the grade above you and they were doing a different song and were wearing their hats and mittens for their song.You decided then and there that you wanted to have your hat on. Your heart would break without it.
I had left your winter hat in the car because I figured the less I had to keep track of, the better because my head was completely confused.I hopefully dug around in my diaper bag and came up with your swimming hat.You were thrilled to have a hat on like the older kids (once again - in the older group. Not in your group). And it was about THEN that I realized your swim hat looked like a yarmulke.I thought you might decide to take it off before the actual concert itself, but I was wrong. There you were - adorable in your dress-up clothes and wearing a yarmulke for your Christmas concert.

If anything, I think it proved to me the song you were singing was true as could be.That and realizing that that tiny little thing - that small swimhat/yarmulke will be etched in my memory forever. What a great night, Cutie!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: