These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

KDS Factor

Jack,

Picky eaters are hard to plan for but I've noticed a measure of food that tells me whether or not you will probably like it. The degree to which you like or dislike a food can be determined by it's KDS factor. If the KDS factor is higher, there is a greater chance that you will like the food and if the KDS factor is low, there is a greater chance you will reject it.What is a KDS factor, you ask?

Well, let me enlighten you! :)KDS stands for Ketchup Delivery System. If a food is condusive to being a delivery system for ketchup - i.e. chicken mcnuggets, fish sticks, french fries, chips and even scrambled eggs (you get this from your Daddy)... then the KDS factor is high and you will likely want the food, if only to use it to spoon feed ketchup into your little mouth.Today I had an unusual experience that I would never have predicted would happen relative to the KDS factor, and yet it did.This morning you accompanied me to Saint Louis Bread Company to buy a gift card as a Christmas present for my boss. When we arrived, you were drawn to the bakery window with all the goodies on display behind it. You were excited about the cherry pastry and kept pointing it out to me. I thought awwww! How cool would it be to get that for him and let him have it as a special breakfast with me before we head into school! So, I bought the pastry and we grabbed a booth and sat down to enjoy a treat together. When I started to cut into it, you realized that the cherry middle of the pastry was not in fact KETCHUP as you had thought it was and were very upset at this realization. The world crumbled around you and you emitted banshee like cries of woe.I had no idea that you thought the pastry was a ketchup doughnut and that you would be SO disappointed that it wasn't.

Anyway, our little outing was such a grand disappointment to you because of the low KDS factor, that I was reminded not to attempt this again for awhile.

Love,

Mommy

No comments: