These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Meer Dogs

Jack,

Tonight I was watching an episode of Meerkat Manor. What's that you ask? Well - it's a show on Animal Planet about a family of Meerkat's in the Calahari and their daily fight for survival. The dominant female, Flower, has been the head of the family they follow in the series for the past four years and she's been fantastic to watch.

In the last episode, she adopted the baby of a rival family of meerkats although they usually destroy litters of competing families babies. She let this one live and was distracted looking out for it when they ran across a cape cobra that escaped into the burrow where her own litter of offspring were hidden.

Flower followed to battle the snake and was fatally bitten and died.

Okay - I was very swept up in the emotion of this and started crying.

You looked at me and then at the TV and declared "Mommy crying."

I said "Yes, honey, Mommy's crying. Mommy loves Meerkats."

and, just like that, you showed your current state of having to disagree with me about everything:

"Not Meerkats, Mommy! Meer - DOGS!"

Really? Did you really just say that?

Yes, you did.

Love,

Mommy

No comments: