These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007



Monday afternoon I got a call from your school that you were vomiting and I needed to come and pick you up. I bee-lined to your school and there you were looking pitifully pale and hot and I scooped you up and we left.I had already lined up with my work to take off the next day so you could have a recovery day.When we got home, I gave you some Motrin and your fever came down and we had a very nice evening.You fell asleep early and slept till 4 AM - so this morning, I was certain that we could have a quieter, but still pleasant day off together.We headed to the zoo first thing when it opened at 9 and you were animated and looked like you were feeling good!

We explored the Children's Zoo, the Insectarium, checked out the sea lions and the gorillas, road on the Merry-Go-Round TWICE AND walked by the bears. After that we got in line for the train and you started burrowing your forehead into the curve of my neck and I could feel you getting warm. I asked you if you wanted to go home, but you said "no". I figured we would be good to ride around the park once before leaving.On the way home, you fell fast asleep. I was thinking what a great job I did. We'd had a great day together, you got to mend and all would be great. Well, you slept from 11:30 till about 2:30 which I rationalized that you probably needed since you weren't feeling so good.Only, when you woke up from your nap you were burning up! It felt like I was touching the sun when I put my skin against yours. I took your temperature and it was 103.5. I absolutely freaked out. I called the doctor's office and reported the temperature and they said to bring you in and get some Tylenol into you. I flew by the pharmacy, picked up the Tylenol and only got 2 ml in your mouth when you started vomiting. A LOT. The car STILL smells like puke and I've cleaned it like three times since then.

Anyway, by the time we got to the Doctor's office, you were feeling a little better from vomiting, but your fever was still 103.3. Because you weren't lethargic, we had you checked out and found the beginnings of an ear infection so now you are on antibiotics and Tylenol for the fever and I'm feeling run through the wringer with worry and silliness for blowing this out of proportion, but what a relief to think that you'll be better this time next week.

So - here's my latest bitch. In this day and age, wouldn't you think it would be possible to come up with an antibiotic that you don't have to forcefeed 1.5 teaspoons of TWICE A DAY through flailing arms, kicking legs and gritted teeth until a whole bottle is gone? It just seems like someone could come up with a more concentrated formula - a better solution. Something you could mask like a crushed up powder mixed into some applesauce. Just about anything would be better, in my opinion....

So, the fever scare is over and I'm staying home with you till you are better, but you really got my heart racing today with that high fever!



No comments: