These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The Day After

Jack,

It's the day after Christmas and all through the house not a toy was put away, not even the boxes they came in.

The holiday hangover - so you know - has NOTHING to do with alcohol consumption. It's the day after a holiday that was so special that you find yourself wandering around in a daze because in comparison to the holiday high you are coming off of from indulging in everything from presents to sweets and delicious foods to friends and family and good times - that everyday life in comparison seems so... well.... slow.

Don't get me wrong, there are still remnants of the holiday that stay fresh for awhile. The toys are still new and fun and exciting and the decorations stay up for awhile longer, too. I guess it's the realization that there aren't any parties coming up to get ready for and getting back to your normal routine that brings you right back down to earth. Daddy had to go to work today and I didn't, so I don't have anything to complain about. It's almost noon and I'm still in my pajamas so life is pretty sweet.

I don't want to let go of the holidays just yet so I haven't started to take down the Christmas decorations. I'll start that on Friday. Until then, I'm going to pretend it's not over. I love Christmas and taking a day to show everyone that you thought about them and that they are special enough to deserve the extra little treats that come with the holiday.

Today you and I are hanging around, taking it easy and I'm trying to convince you that you will still need to take a nap later. You giggle when I say it and go back to playing with your pretend food and plastic animals while I imbibe more soda and flip clothes from the laundry to the dryer and unload the dishwasher while the television provides white noise in the background of all the kids videos that we ever owned or were gifted.

What makes today so special is this little extra time with you because between loads of laundry, I get to come over and pull you in my arms as you struggle to break free and whine "MOMMMEEEEE" with legs moving in mid air like Scooby Doo. Still, I get to steal a kiss which smells like Cheerios and bananas and then watch you return to playing with your toys. Happy as a little pig in a mud puddle.

Come to think of it, the slower pace of the day after the holidays is also a nice breather. But I still can't wait for next year!

Love,

Mommy

P.S. - As you know, April has been sick too and on medicine to stop the vomiting and diarrhea which it did.

But, there's nothing grosser than watching her eat her soft food now that she is given it only twice a day. By the time mealtime comes, she is convinced that she is starving and the minute the food hits her bowl it goes something like this.


Gross....

Reminds me of myself with any junk food. Watch your fingers....

No comments: