These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Friday, October 06, 2006

Running in Circles

10-6-06

Jack,

When people usually refer to running in circles, they mean that they feel that they are trying to accomplish something and not getting anywhere.

I guess this is a matter of perspective.

I think your favorite games in the world right now center around running in circles. You love spinning in one place until you are so dizzy that you can’t walk straight and fall over. Even the occasional injury obtained from this game isn’t enough to deter you from doing it again.

Another game that you have recently started playing with the dogs involves running in a circular path from hallway to family room, to dining room, to kitchen and on and on and on.

The game starts from some queue that only you can detect. You sense somehow that Hercules is trying to get you. Your eyes widen with excitement and you run to me, giggling like crazy and climbing up me as though I was some tree. You giggle nervously and peer around me for Hercules to come in search of you. Usually he doesn’t, because – he doesn’t know you are playing with him.

This doesn’t stop you. You run into the other room to see what he’s doing, usually running smack into him, which sets you to squealing again and then you start running in circles. The dogs LOVE this game and will frequently run with you which reinforces your original conclusion that they are trying to "get" you.

I usually sit back and watch it because it’s fun to see you enjoying yourself so much and to see your mind creating this wonderful game for you to entertain yourself with.

Love,

Mommy

Postnote:

This same day, Hercules got ahold of the hat that we bought as part of your Woody costume for Halloween. This is all that was left:



I'm not sure what we'll fashion for you to wear with your costume come Halloween. It'll be interesting to see the pictures.

Lucky for us, we had the foresight to take some pictures of you in costume before the hat was destroyed.

IN MEMORIUM:


FYI - I don't know why I had you barefoot in this picture! You look more like Huckleberry Finn than Woody....

Apparently, Calum was trying to warn us that the hat was tasty and for me to be careful, but I didn't pay heed!

No comments: