These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Can you say…“Social Services”?

Jack,

Boo-boo’s. They really suck, you know?

Boo-boos inevitably happen when you are having a fantastic time and are as happy as you can be and they strike out of nowhere, making the surprise effect of the sudden hurt that much more painful to you (and to me).

I haven’t taken many pictures of your boo-boos because it pains me to see them and I always feel SO much better when all tell-tale signs of them are healed and behind us.

When you are wearing a prominently displayed boo-boo, it is a reminder to me as a Mommy that there was a time that I wasn’t fast enough or careful enough to prevent that injury and there are lots of times when I find myself wondering what that magic number of times is that it takes to bump your head before serious brain injury is reached. I worry that you may be closing in on that magic number so each bump increases my anxiety a little more.

Still, you are quicker than me on many occasions and the bumps don’t seem to decrease your desire to:
Run down the hill every time we leave the park even though you are careening at top speed towards a gravel parking lot…
Spin in circles until you are so dizzy that you fall down, inevitably on something with a sharp edge or against something nearby – like a wall.
Climbing stepstools or on your wagon or something with wheels which you can and have slipped off of and fallen backwards
Run face first into the corner of the phone table when escaping the dogs (even though they weren’t REALLY chasing you to begin with)
Falling headfirst into the rales or head/foot board of your crib when playing peek-a-boo over the side and you become too overexcited
And on, and on, and on much to my growing concern….

Can you say “Social Services?” NO? Good! Let’s keep it that way!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: