These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Monday, October 02, 2006

The Great Pumpkin

10-2-06

Jack,

This weekend we took you to the pumpkin patch to pick out your pumpkin for this Halloween. The stark contrast between this year’s trip and last year’s trip flashed before my eyes and the changes that took place in the past year stood out so drastically that it kind of took my breath away.

I remember last year, sitting you between the pumpkins dressed in your plush costume and smiling at everyone that passed by you. This year, you were not sure about the big pumpkins. I think they even scared you a little. When I set you down to get your picture taken, you reached and screamed for me to get you – now, now, NOW – before the big orange things rose up and prevented you from ever leaving!

The patch that we took you to had a little petting zoo and some fun activities for the kids, such as a small train and some rides and a sandbox.

See how thrilled you are?!? Actually, this took place AFTER the sad pumpkin poses, so you may have still been holding a grudge.

You seemed to prefer the sandbox and even a small display train. The animals were interesting from afar, but up close, they were a little larger than you were comfortable coming directly into contact with.

We trekked through the patch looking for the perfect pumpkins – you alternated between wanting to search through the patch on your own and wanting us to carry you amongst the many choices.
We finally decided on two that weren’t too large since we already carry more items “just in case” than a sane person would ever consider – and headed home.
See how much less intimidating they are when they are this tiny?
I almost got your Daddy in trouble with the “tractor police” when I made him pick an apple for you at a stop before we got to the pumpkins. I’m such a trouble-maker!

You had fun on the hayride next to your cousin, Calum, but he didn’t seem to care for the ride that much. I have to say I kind of agree with him. Lots of dust and then there is the thrill of being smushed up against strangers behind, below and next to you. And they don’t even offer a complimentary beverage! What kind of hell is that?!?

Now we have the pumpkins home – luckily still in one piece after hearing them rolling around in the trunk on the drive home. I can’t believe Halloween is just around the corner again. What fun, sweetie! I can’t wait to go trick or treating with you!

FYI - not captured in this picture is the high-pitch satisfied yell you are emitting which you tend to do when you are content and happy and all is right with the world. It never fails to make me laugh!

Love,

Mommy

P.S. Check out this side by side comparison in the difference that ONE year can make!


I know I'm being biased, but you are the cutest little guy I ever saw! BOTH YEARS!!!

It's sad to think that one day soon you'll be past the stage of wanting me close by so badly. I know I'll never grow out of it. I love this mental image:

Mommy wants you, too, Sweetie-Pie!

No comments: