These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Love in My Family

Jack,

Here we are on the cusp of you beginning daycare. It’s a first step towards the rest of your childhood filled with school that won’t stop until you graduate (and hopefully past that to college, etc).
I am full of anxiety and yet, so grateful for all you have been able to have up to this point.

I hope that one thing you remember from your childhood when you look back on it is the feeling of being loved.

















Your Grandparents on both sides have watched you two and three times a week while your Daddy and I are working. They are always eager and willing to spend time with you so we can bring home the bacon and you always have so much fun with them.


Then there is always fun to be had in the evenings and on the weekends with your Aunts and Uncles and your little cousin, Calum.









You have had such wonderful experiences with your Aunts and Uncles.

Kelly and Bobby have babysat on many occasions, keep a basket of toys in their closet at their house – just for their nephews (although they MAY break them out to play with when we’re not there….who knows…). They always are playing peek-a-boo and always make you feel loved and valued. I can see your face light up whenever we get to their house because you KNOW who is inside and you love them! You are even saying “Ba-ba” for Bobby. The only other name you have said so far in addition to Ma-ma, Da-Da and Anma (Grandma) & Anpa (Grandpa)…

Erin and Brett have babysat for you with little Calum and you frequently go to the window and jab a finger at the glass to indicate that you want to go THERE! Across the street! NOW! I can leave you with your Aunt Erin and Uncle Brett and you are content because you feel safe and loved in their presence. And you LOVE your little playmate, Calum!!!

I’m sure that you’ll always feel particularly close to those family members that you have grown up with. I feel so pleased that these are the people that will influence you as you grow because these are all people that I admire and would love for you to be like. I hope you take a little something from all of them, which I’m sure you will, in growing and becoming a man.

It’s so important to me that you realize that you are important! Your opinion is valued, your personality admired and your perspective respected. We may not always agree, but I will always listen to your thoughts and opinions and I promise to keep an open mind. Because I know you have been influenced by good people and I trust you, Sweetie! I know you will know right from wrong and I trust that you will make good decisions. And when you falter, know that you always have the support of a family that loves you!

I never thought I would be one to quote Hillary Clinton, but it really does take a village to raise a child. AKA – The Shrews! (honorary Shrews members included: Grandparents, Great Aunt Suzy, Great Grandma’s, and on and on, etc, etc!!!)

Look out, honey! Here comes the next step towards your independence. Try not to fall when you walk away, okay?

Love,

Mommy

No comments: