These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Maj-in-eenes

Jack,

You've been potty training for about a week now and we've had precious few accidents and I want a way to reward you for these successes.

Introducing the Responsibility Chart.Your first and most important responsibility on this cart is that of the Potty. Every time you have a potty success, you get to put a magnet next to that responsibility (you call them "maj-in-eenes"). When you fill all the spots next to that responsibility, you get a matchbox car.You have been wildly successful and we've shelled out three matchbox cars so far for these accomplishments. (Guess who's Mommy works for an Incentive company.....)The chart itself has been a wonderful addition to our routine as a family. There are other items on there - things you had been doing but now we can make a bigger deal out of them by giving you a magnet and another chance to earn a reward for doing these good things that have made you more eager to do them and that is good for all of us.I had mentioned before that I think I've found my Mommy Groove with you and it's really simple but it was a hard lesson for me to learn. I think I have the tendency to be all gooey.

I don't like the word pushover.Anyway, you are a smart kid and if I don't deliver my message with complete conviction in my voice and mannerisms, you can tell and you don't take it seriously. This applies even to the way that I walk out of your room at naptime. If I hesitate because I'm flinching expecting crying and carrying on, there will be crying and carrying on. But if I leave directly and in a positive manner with a good kiss and hug and a "I love you! I'll see you at wake up time!" and head directly downstairs, you accept this as it and all is usually well. Sure - there are always exceptions, but for the most part it's true.If I have confidence in myself, you have confidence in me and it's better for everyone.

So I've been telling my inner critic to shut his/her piehole for once because this is what we need right now. And it's working - for both of us.We are both delivering on our responsibilities and seem to be loving every minute of it!

Love,

Mommy

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Hi There-

I came across this blog post while searching for potty training success charts. I love yours! Do you remember where you got it? Thanks in advance.