These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Monday, March 03, 2008

Jane

Now it's time to say "goodbye" to you
and I can't seem to say
the way it makes me feel inside
and how I feel you in me today.

The figure you've been in my life
comes alive in my memory
and I realize how much of you
has helped to make me "ME".

You struggled through loss of loved ones
and watched yourself decline.
Your spirit was strong and fighting
and championed over your body and mind.

Now I think back on moments
that are so clear, they seem today
to fill my heart with sorrow and love
that I've lost you, Sean Madre.

You'd wink and do my chores for me
and let me claim the glory.
You'd tell me I'd be an author
when you'd read my childish story.

You'd swat and reprimand a swing
when I'd fall and scrape my knee
and I would watch in amazed awe
at the defender you were of me.

You'd joke and tease and make me laugh
at home and church and car.
A smile is what you'd bring to me
even if getting there took you far.

Through the years it's hurt us all
as your spirit fought on and on.
Your body lost many battles,
but your soul still soldiered on.

Still we watched movies...
Remember Waking Ned Divine?
You patted my pregnant tummy
and held Jack in due time.

You've been ever present
in my life everyday.
And I'm so very sad but
know all this will guide me on my way.
Jane McGraw Peckham
August 25, 1918 - February 28,2008

Rest in Peace, Grandma.

No comments: