These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Bridget and Clay

Jack,

Lately you've been calling your Daddy and me by our first names.You started doing it to Daddy first and it started when Daddy would be upstairs and you'd want him, you would go to the bottom of the stairs and holler "CLAAAAAAAAAY! CLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!" in a way that sounded SO much like me, that I knew exactly where that was coming from.Then you started calling Daddy "Clay" almost as much as you called him Daddy.You would think I would have been prepared for the same, but I wasn't.The first time you called me "Bridget", I was astounded.It was so matter of fact, almost non-challant as though you had been doing it every day for your entire life."BWIDGET! COME HEEEEYO!"Then you started doing it in front of family.A little embarrassing, but they laughed it off as a great joke.Friends did a little more of a double take."Did he just call you "Bridget?!?""Then someone pointed out to me that it's not a bad thing. It's a sign that a child is recognizing that you are a separate person from them and that you exist without them.I liked this explanation and had happily adopted it as a healthy explanation.And now you are calling me Mommy again, or Momma, but you are still calling Daddy "Clay" which makes it sound like he's my boyfriend and you are my child."MOMMY! CWAY! Watch DIS!" as you slide down the slide and Clay looks at me and grins and shakes his head.Then says to you "Hey, Jack! Did you know Mommy's Name is BRIDGET?!?"Love,

Mommy

No comments: