These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Monday, March 10, 2008

Faux Pas

Jack,

When you are all grown up and you make mistakes at work, hopefully you can look back at this one and - after laughing at it - you can feel better about it because, it could have been worse.

A LOT worse.

I don't know how much I've ever mentioned about my job, so I'll give you a little background on that. My title is Program Account Manager. Basically, that means that I manage projects for particular salespeople until the account is sold and off the ground and then I'm the main point of contact for that client for all escalated issues with their program.

Try saying that five times fast.

Well, recently I was working on a big program opportunity with a client. My company sells incentive cards that are like credit cards but can be either preloaded with a one-time load or can be reloaded depending on the platform that the client wants. These incentive cards can be used to give to employees as bonuses, they can be used as loyalty rewards between merchandisers and vendors that sell that merchandise over a competitor's, they can be part of a safety awards program in manufacturing companies, etc. The applications are pretty much endless.

And now, if you aren't already asleep.... the point of my story:

Custom plastic was printed for this big client with a customer service number on the back of the plastic. We recently updated all the numbers to be 1-888-900-2347. But in this case, the back of the plastic was printed with 1-800 instead of 1-888. The rest of the plastic number was the same and it didn't stand out as being different enough for me to catch it as being wrong.

Well, turns out that number with 800 at the front is a sex line.

Nice, right? And - we didn't catch it..... the CLIENT caught it.

FEE-FI-FO-PAUX!

Here's hoping my job is still intact this time next week and, if it is, we'll LAAAAUGH and LAAAAAAUGH! :)

Love,

Mommy

No comments: