These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Lilith

Jack,

Last night our cat, Lilith, died.She was a couple of years old when I adopted her from the Humane Society 13 years ago. She had been a city stray that had birthed a litter of kittens before being brought in and neutered and put up for adoption. Because of that, her belly was always large because her uterus hadn't shrunk before the surgery and stayed big for the rest of her life.Lilith was my very first grown-up pet. My first real act of independence after I had my own apartment and could make my own decisions. And boy was I ready to prove it! I decided on Lilith because she was an older cat and I knew they had trouble getting adopted. Plus, the distended belly dwarfed her head and the rest of her body seemed disproportionately small in comparison. I thought she might have trouble finding a home.I chose the name Lilith because I was kind of into learning about mythology and stuff at the time and there are lots of creation stories, but one of my favorites is the one where Lilith was the first woman that God created, but she was too independent, so God created Eve as a "do-over".

Well, Lilith was the first woman of our house.What a sweetheart she could be! She meowed more than any cat I've ever known. I never had to worry about her running out of food or not getting enough attention because Lilith knew how to speak up!

Lilith was a wonderful cat. She would purr on your lap when you needed a hug or some type of warm comfort and made you feel needed and loved. Whenever I needed comfort, she was there.When the other cats joined the family, Lilith would be the most vocal about their presence, but she was also the one that I would find snuggling up to the newcomer first and grooming their heads.You called her Mommy Cat - and that she most definitely was.

A caring kitty cat. It's been a long road together and she kept me company through my twenties, through dating your Daddy and marrying him, through our store, through your birth. She's always been there while I established my life, found my independence. Found myself.

I'll miss her.

Love,

Mommy

No comments: