These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Phone Etiquette

Jack,

You are becoming a real expert at talking on the phone. You will put the phone up to your ear and engage enthusiastically in conversation:
"DADDY! YOU WOAK? You WOAKIN', Daddy?"
or
"Gwan-maw, you downstairs? You playin with toys? You playin downstairs?"
Your joy at hearing the voice of someone you love at the other end of the line is adorable. You answer questions with "yes" and "no"s and sometimes I can even guess the questions when you say "watchin cars" or "hot dogs...."
Of course, this early understanding of the phone still shows a lot of room for development.For example, sometimes in the middle of an explanation, you will forget such details as holding the phone to your ear and the receiver will dangle, any response from the person on the other end of the line completely lost to you.
Then, there is the pointing technique where you indicate something of importance to the person on the other end of the line.

"Yook what Santa bwought, Dad!"

Of course, sometimes it's simply:

"Yook! You see dat?!?"

Leaving the person on the other end of the phone to either try to explain that NO, in fact I CANNOT see what you are indicating or to simply agree with you.

This is a charged area, too, because you may be showing the person a picture or something else like a spill and the response will be the same "ooooooooh! I seeeeeeeee!" which can either indicate a lack of enthusiasm about something important or a little too positive of a response to something that shouldn't be well received....

Anyway, I speak with people on the phone every day as part of my job and I have to say that you are one of the most pleasant phone conversationalists I've heard all week!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: