These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Saturday, January 12, 2008

In His Shoes

Jack,

There's nothing that would make me happier than to see you turn into the kind of man that your Daddy is. He's always there for me when I need him, he's a wonderful friend and he loves you like crazy.

We've been having some wonderful times together. He pretends to be an ogre that chases us around the house and tries to eat us. You and I run steps ahead of him and sometimes you'll stop suddenly and announce to me "I got idea!" and then proceed to find a hiding spot that couldn't be more obvious if you were wearing a neon pimp suit. Usually it's right out in the open like hiding behind the coffee table with your whole lower half exposed.

I have to hand it to Daddy. I don't know how he plays along without bursting into laughter at our attempts to hide from him, but he doesn't and the game continues until he finds us and you scream excitedly and scramble in true Scooby-Doo fashion to get on your feet and race off again.

Then there is the game where you and Daddy lie on the floor and pretend to be sleeping while I go looking for you and discover you both sleeping and wake you up by tickling you or blowing raspberry's on your belly. Daddy will usually push my buttons by egging you on with "Do again, Mommy!" or "Try new one!" mimicing what you say when you want to repeat something about a kajillion times because it was so much fun the first time. All the while, I will be swearing my revenge as I do it again and again and shooting him looks that would kill if you weren't there while he laughs because he knows I can't do anything about it now and won't do anything about it later.

Or so he thinks....

Love,

Mommy

No comments: