These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Like Pulling Teeth

Jack,

Tonight was your first visit to the dentist. We talked about how we were going to the Teeth Doctor and how he just wanted to count your teeth and look in your mouth.You were apprehensive, sure that I was taking you to the "Clippin My Nails" Doctor which you would nervously state "NOT Clippin My Nails, Doctor, Mom" and I would assure you that was right. He wouldn't clip your nails, just wanted to count your teeth.When we got there, things looked like pretty smooth sailing. There were Legos in the waiting room and a fish tank and books.THEN, they gave you a tooth brush with an Orca for the handle and your own little sized toothpaste. EUREKA!Your first moment of being unsure was the dentist chair. You didn't want to sit there, but the nurse convinced you to by withholding the precious toothbrush till you sat down. Once there, Dr. Butler came in and you immediately liked him.He even put a plastic glove on his head for the sole purpose of your amusement. It worked. You wanted to do it, too, but then he admitted that it didn't feel great so you probably wouldn't like it.You really liked him (what's not to like?!? He put a GLOVE ON HIS HEAD!),until he wanted to look in your mouth.Suddenly the honeymoon was over and you had this expression that you had been attacked. Your face said what the hell?!?I couldn't seem to come up with any ideas about how to convince you that this was no big deal. Dr. Butler paused a lot and tried to get you comfortable and I tried to talk soothingly and tell you that it was only counting your teeth, but you were sure that something bad was shortly to happen.Eventually, we called it a night. Your eyes were red from crying and you were clutching your toothbrush and paste like they were a sword and shield and your only protection from what was going to happen.Better luck next time. I guess you got away without getting your teeth pulled as we had planned all along.

Love,

Mommy

No comments: