These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Monday, April 23, 2007

April Shower

Jack,
This weekend we had a baby shower for your Aunt Lisa and Uncle Matt. It was a couple's shower and it was a blast. It really brings back memories for me of your early months looking at the toys and infant paraphenalia. It gets the hormones pumping, or at least it did for me.
You had a blast playing with your cousins, Layla, and her brother Mike.
The next day at lunch, I was feeding you and talking to you and thought I'd bring up the topic.
"Jack, would you like it if Mommy and Daddy had another baby?"
No response. You continued eating.
"You know.... like Cal? What if we got another baby to live here with us?"
Now you are looking at me and chewing like you are thinking about it.
"The baby would be here all the time. Even when it's crying ....."
"NO!" and you are now shaking your head adamantly. You now understand and are telling me that this is NOT okay by you.
I had to laugh at your conviction. You were SURE!
That's okay - we don't have any news of a new baby coming or anything like that, so there's time to get used to the idea of something of the sort, but the baby shower did get me thinking and I can't seem to turn it off.
Love,

Mommy

P.S. I thought about just not mentioning the current event of the shooting at Virginia Tech, but every time I consider something like this, I have to remind myself that this blog is for you so you know what growing up was like for you in your early years and for me as your mom and so I feel I owe it to you to bring this up since it has been a backdrop behind the scenes of our everyday lives and who knows how this event will effect your future. Stay safe, honey - you are everything to us.

No comments: