These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Friday, April 13, 2007

The truth dawns

Jack,
Lately you have been coming to realizations at the most strange of times.
Let me illustrate what I mean by that by sharing an example with you. You will be either in a bubble bath or on the potty when you will realize that you can't have a cookie at that exact moment and you will get the saddest look on your face and start emphatically telling me about it as though I'm disagreeing or don't understand how important it is:
"NOOOOOOOOO cookeee, Mommeee. No. Cookie, No. No cookie. Nooooooooo coookieeeee."
and I'll shake my head in agreement with a serious look on my face, too, and confirm your worst suspicions:
"That's right, Jack. No cookies right now. It's almost bedtime. We can have a cookie another time, but not now."
"No. No cookie."
"That's right."
"Noooooooo coookie. Noooooooo."
"That's right."
"Ammmal cookie."
"Yes, we DO have animal cookies, but you can't have one now."
"no."
"That's right"
Then you look thoughtful and a little sad and I'll try to cheer you up by saying: "But we CAN read the Mouse Cookie book!"
"NOOOOOOOO! NOOOOOO COOOKIEEE, MOMMEEEEEE! NO! NO COOKIE!"
"That's right, but we can read a BOOK about cookies"
"NO!"
"Here, see? Here's the book and there's the boy and there's a cookie!"
"MYYYYYY COOOOOKIEEEEE!!! MYYYYY! MYYYYY!"
"Yes! That's your cookie and there YOU are!!! See - the little boy is YOU and you are getting the cookie!"
"NOOOOOOOOOOOO! NOOOOOOOO Mommeee! NO COOKIE!"
"Okay - should we stop reading?"
"NOOOOOOO" Okay, then....
Love,

Mommy

No comments: