These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Monday, February 26, 2007

Growing Pains

Jack,

This weekend brought with it one of your first instances of "time-out". We had Kelly, Bobby, Erin, Brett and Calum over to dinner on Saturday and we were all having so much fun that you got to the point where you couldn't hold in all your energy and excitement. You had gotten to the point of excitement on Saturday that you starting hitting the dogs (more like a hard pat, but I knew what you were up to) and I told you on a couple of occassions "no" and to be "niiiiiiiiice", but you did it again, so I was forced to implement a time out to show you that I was serious about this rule.

It was hard for me to figure out the best place for your time out, because you have to be careful about the area you choose. For instance, I can't make it your room because you might associate your bed with punishment and we have enough trouble with you going to sleep. It also couldn't be around people because that wouldn't make sense to you. You would simply pop right up and go back to playing.

I ended up taking you into the kitchen away from our visitors and sat you next to the trash can since there is nothing around there that you could construe as tied to the punishment and also no toys for it to turn into a game.

You sat for about 3 seconds and then I had to sit with you. Hey, it was the first time out and the concept was entirely new so I sat with you and talked about being "niiiiiiiiice" to the doggies and not hitting and so forth.

All in all, I think it worked out well for both of us because I was composed the whole time and thought it through carefully and we ended with a nice pat for the dogs and a hug for me.

I knew this "time-out" thing was bound to happen at some point seeing as how you are growing into a smart little boy capable of almost anything you want to do. I thought it came off nicely and maybe would help impress upon you the importance of listening and being nice and proper behavior, etc.

That is - until yesterday and this morning. We've drifted back now towards a behavior that I saw disappear a while ago where I couldn't leave the room without you panicking.

Now this behavior has resurfaced and I think it's because of the time-outs.

I think you know that you are challenging me and you worry that this is increasing the odds that, when I leave, you don't know if and when I'll come back.

I worry that you have this fear because I hope that I'm not exhibiting anything that you could be interpretting this way. I love you like crazy. Have no fear - that could never change. I wish I could find a way to make you understand that.

You're my Jack! My baby - my reason for coming to this job every morning and trying to pack all responsibilities into the smallest amount of time in order to have more time with you for fun.

Anyway, that's my latest concern - so now I've shared that with you and I'm sure - with each entry - you become more and more convince that that's ALL I do (worry, that is...). :)

Well, it's not.

This weekend, I planned for your second birthday party. I set up the party times and dates and sent out the invitations. Your Daddy and I took you to Toys R Us to pick out your presents while the other one distracted you with the toys on the shelves.

I let them know at the front desk that you were a birthday boy and they gave you a crown and a birthday boy balloon and made an annoucement that Jack was "2" and if anyone saw him in the store, to wish him a happy birthday. Well, you wouldn't wear the crown, but you WERE identified by the birthday boy balloon and a man and his son said "Happy Birthday, Jack!" as we went by in the shopping cart. How cool is it that they do that? :)

Also, this weekend Daddy went to the store to pick up some items we needed and brought home a movie poster of Cars - your favorite Movie. He framed it and hung it in your room. You are THRILLED! You love to point to each character in the poster and identify them.

And he did it JUST BECAUSE.... (by the way - here you are KISSING the poster. Guess you liked it, huh?) :)

Just because we love you SO MUCH, sweetie! Don't worry - you can continue to grow and rebel and that annoying little constant will never change. We'll still want to hug you and kiss you and be all up in your business because you are our sweetheart and just another reason for us to fall in love all over again.

Love,

Mommy


Also, here is some recent artwork that you made for the scrap book:



A cute coffee filter snowflake made with water colors...




Your coloring is getting very impressive. You can now make very round deliberate strokes and identify things in your drawings like "cow" or "hooooo-hooooo" (an owl). Very cute and I love seeing your scribbles developing. You LOVE to draw:



And, here's a sweet little love note that your Aunt Kelly wrote to you that I want to keep forever and ever!:

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

Bridget,

I'd say you did very well to not need time-out before now! Harper was having modified time-outs soon after she could walk. . .