These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

First Sleepover!

Jack,

Last night we attempted your very first sleepover. I wasn't sure what to expect. I expected mayhem and I expected a late night with lots of energy!




What I didn't expect was for the evening to be as wonderful as it was.




We had your cousins Sarah and Hannah over and it was a blast! You all went up and down the slide more times than I think it's been used in the entire time since we first got it and that's a LOT. You and Hannah devised a system of up and down on the slide where you were both convinced the other was chasing them so you moved faster and faster and more and more excitedly to go down again and again with much squealing.



You would stop quite frequently to get a hug from your cousins and even took to calling Sarah "Mommy" and Hannah "Hanni". You actually didn't acknowledge me the entire time that your cousins were there.

That just goes to show me how quickly you will drop me for a girl! :)

Daddy even tried to get you to acknowledge him several times and you would look right through him and run past without blinking.


Your Daddy and I actually found this quite humourous and would call out your name and laugh with each other at your non-reaction.


We set up a blow up matress on the floor downstairs fully intending for you to fall asleep with your cousins and for us to then transfer you to your own room, but the air mattress turned into a trampoline even before Daddy was done inflating it. You were up and running even until 9:30 when Daddy and I decided that all good things must end and I started the long and rough process of calming you down for bed.
What a wonderful time we had. The girls were so much fun for you and they were so well behaved that they taught you some good things. We have been struggling with you hitting when you get frustrated but "Hanni" told you "Noooooo, Jack. Niiiiiiiiiiice." and showed you how to touch gently with your hand which was 1,000,000% more effective than anything similar that I have said to you so now I'll be sure to remind you that Hanni said to be nice. :)
The sleepover ended as I believe all first sleepovers do, with the guests leaving before or at midnight to sleep at their own respective houses, but the whole experience was an overall success and I think you would be quite content to adopt both Sarah and Hannah as sisters from here on out!

It was wonderful and I know I'll want to do it again soon!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: