These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Talking Tator

Jack,

The ways that you have changed in the past week are so are so incredible that, when I think about it, I kind of feel a little dizzy.

At this point, I don't think there isn't a word you won't say.

Which means we have to be more careful now than we have ever been before.

About a week ago, I was trying to change your diaper and you were being a little stubborn - which means that you were trying to kick my hands away, twist and run while I tried to turn your legs at the exact moment you tried to twist so you wouldn't be able to wiggle away and still thrust the new diaper under your bottom and attach the tabs on the sides all the while avoiding the karate chop action of your legs as you tried to get even with me for torturing you in this fashion.

When all was done, your new diaper was on and you were already forgetting the horrible torture you had been subject to, I gathered the old diaper, took a deep breathe and said, "Oooh, boy."

I walked into the kitchen to throw away the stinky diaper and heard a voice from the other room say:

"Ooooooooh boy."

I walked back into the room and you were on top of the slide smiling at me and saying over and over: "Ooooooh boy, oh boy ohboy oby oooooooooooh boooooyeeeeeeeee!"

I thought - thank GOD that's what came out of my mouth.

Now you are in the habit of repeating a lot of the last words that come out of my mouth when I finish a sentence and, when we read bedtime stories together, you wait for the end of the page because you know the last word that each page ends with. If I don't say it fast enough, sometimes you yell it at me until I am able to read fast enough to get it out. Then we repeat that word like five times and I reread the page at it's normal pace and go to the next one.

"Nothing could stop McQueen...."
"TRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIX!!! TRIXXXXXX! Trix! Mommy! TriiiiiiiiiX!"
".....Not even Chick Hicks....."
"MEEEEEEEEEEEEANNN! MEEEEEEAN! Meeeeen! Meeee!"
"...and his Mean Tricks!"
"Meeeen triiiix! HA HA! Meeeeeeeen Triiiixxxxxx! HA HA! CRRRRRASSSSHHHHH!"
"That's right, buddy. He made them crash!"
"CRAAAASSSSHHHH! KA-CHOW!"

Also, when you say "KA-CHOW" you have the cutest habit of closing your eyes and squeezing them tight while your face contorts from the effort of getting this very important word to come out EXACTLY RIGHT!

This communication skill is both a relief and a little bit of a - how can I put this diplomatically - scary, pain-in-the-ass, must-be-dealt-with-immediately-kind of urgency to your requests so much so that it is clear at times when we know that your accompanying behavior will need to be addressed immediately. I have found that you are encountering some frustration when we are among other children that want the same toys you do, or when you are tired and automatically want everything that everyone else wants. Escalations happen very quickly. You make the initial statement of "myyyyyn", but if the toy isn't immediately dropped and given to you, the follow-up behaviors could include hitting, pushing, grabbing or shouting.

I know this is age appropriate and many have told me that you are two already even though you haven't turned it yet.

We're working on these behaviors to learn the right way to deal with these situations.

This weekend, we spent down at the Lake with Bobby and Kelly and they got a first hand look at this little dictator phase or "tator" as we lovingly refer to it. At least on three occassions, we were all running in circles around the upstairs balcony chasing you because we LOOOOOOVE YOU, and the alternative was to hear the names of the missing persons shouted in anguish at the top of your lungs for all to hear: "BAAAAAAAAA-BAAAAAA! BOBBY! BOBBEEEEEEEE! BAAAAA-BAAAAAAA!!! UPPPPEEEEEE! UPPEEE, BAAAAA-BAAAAA! UPPPPEEEEE!!!!"

I hate to admit it, but it's very effective. Makes me think that the next time someone won't give me a raise at work I'll simply say "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAISE!!!! RAAAAAAAAAISE!!"

Oh, who am I kidding? I'm not as adorable as you!

Speaking of adorable - Kelly and I found some "Us" time this weekend thanks to Daddy and Bobby to go shopping and we lost ourselves in the fun. We were out shopping for 6.5 hours! Yeah! That's right! I didn't think we had it in us, either! AND we didn't buy the whole mall in that time!

Now, I feel like a fashion plate in my new clothes and am in the mood to dress up. I can't wait to do it again!

Well, I know I could go on and on, so I'll wrap this up.

I look at the words developing and the tantrums and the excitement you exude and I think that the personality you have is too big for your little body to contain so it has to come out in large ways - and I love it!

Can't wait for the next thing!

Love,

Mommy

Here is some more of your sweet little art projects, angel!:

I swear, your projects are becoming more and more detailed. You can do lines and circles and often focus on little areas of the paper as though you are trying to draw something.

I think it's fascinating.

Here's a beautiful paint on canvas drawing you made:

No comments: