These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Big Boy Bed

Jack,

We may be one of the few parents who have waited this long to get you a big boy bed. We really made your crib last. We even put it in the lowest position as a converted toddler bed, but it still looked like a crib. Heck - it even still had it's mobile up! But no longer. You officially have a big boy bed now and I think it looks fantastic. We were all over the place in trying to decide what to get you. We looked at lofts first because that's what I ultimately wanted the most.I had these fantastic ideas about using the bed area and putting up bookshelves as the railing around the edges of the upper bed so that you could have your bedtime stories and snuggly animal toys all around you in your sleeping area. Then, I had these plans of making the underside into a tent area with a bean bag chairs and pillows all over the floor and games and toys and all sorts of fantastic fun stuff underneath.From there, my reality evolved to perhaps bunk beds because our house isn't enormous and it would allow us to fit more in your room. I guess I still had thoughts of using the unused bed for snuggly toys and big pillows to decorate your room and make it look fun. Plus, I thought we could have some fun with you climbing on the top while I was supervising you.Truth be told, I think we landed on the best arrangement. The other two ideas were lots of fun in my head, but there are all sorts of warnings about lofts and bunk beds with younger children. I really owe your Daddy for grounding me in reality because I tend to get an idea that I fall in love with and then all I can see is the cotton candy and sugary ideal of my fantastic daydream and not the dangerous realities of it.Bunk beds and lofts aren't really recommended for any kids under 6 because there is a high incident of accidents that occur with them in the lower age groups. You know.... like head injuries and really bad stuff like that. Things you don't recover from.And you went and proved that these worries ARE sound when you climbed into your bed for the first time and then promptly fell getting out and bit your tongue and there was much blood and crying and I thought thank god that wasn't from a bunk or loft....Because we went with a single twin bed, we decided to spring for the Cadillac of box springs and mattresses, so they weren't cheap, but your bed is decidely softer than even our bed.Since we bought it, you sleep longer which I truly hadn't expected and you go down easier. Sometimes I'll be reading to you and leaning on your bed and it feels so soft that before I know it, I'm lying in the bed with you reading to you.Which is okay as long as I don't make the horrible mistake of falling asleep sometime when I'm doing this. Because that is a habit I don't want to have to address down the road.

Love,

Mommy

No comments: