These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Analogy

Jack,

Mother's Day weekend was fantastic. I wish it simply wouldn't end. I was pampered to the Nth degree and treated to new clothes, a new purse, a night out to dinner and wonderfully pleasant interactions with you.

I'm wow'ed over and over again by you. Your sweetness. Your comments. Your actions. Just taking you in.

You have really been bonding with our dog, Hercules, lately. He is your buddy and over the weekend with all the storms that we had, you and him would frequently hide during the thunder and lightening under a blanket up against my chest for comfort. It was adorable and so comforting to me, too. You would sometimes offer for me to join the two of you in the impenetrable safety and security of the blanket cover and the iron barrier that it offered between the scary storm and us - but I would quickly suffocate under the blanket and marvel that you and the dog can exist on little to no air. Who'd of thunk it?

In sweet and tender moments, you call me Medium Jellybean. You refer to yourself as Little Jellybean and Daddy as Big Jellybean. It's so heart meltingly adorable that I just want to hold you and cover you in kisses. You'll be playing and then you'll say "I love you Medium Jellybean!" and I am always just bowled over at the sensitive and caring little person that you are.

You also will declare "Mommy, I'm so PROUD of you!" which I find myself exclaiming to you a lot through the period of potty training that we are currently going through. I always smile big and tell you that I'm proud of you, too, and then we share a hug. It doesn't seem to matter if there is something to be proud of and that strikes me as particularly special about the remark. Almost as though just being yourself is something to be proud of. And I hope you take that away from this because it's JUST the message I would like for you to get!

This morning, I was getting ready to put your shoes on when I noticed your socks were damp for whatever reason. I took them off and felt your little cold feet as I was getting ready to put on your new socks.
When I put them on your feet, I wrapped my hands around your feet in the socks and said "Doesn't that feel good? Socks are so nice, they are like a big hug for your feet! All snug and warm!" and you responded "They are Mommy."

I was so flattered! I said "YES! The socks are Mommy because they are all snuggly and cuddly and keeping you warm, and the shoes are Daddy because they are keeping you safe from the things that would hurt your feet if you stepped on them. They protect you!"

"And my foot is Jack!" you said.

"Yes! You are the foot, Mommy is the sock and Daddy is the shoe! Great analogy, Little Man! Do you know what an Analogy is? It's when something that isn't like something is compared to another thing in a way that shows they are like each other. Can you say "analogy?"

"Allogy."

"That's right."

I'm so proud that you are from me. I am proud of everything about you. Thanks for making me a Mom and thanks for making me YOUR Mom!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: