These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Pape

Jack,

I am thrilled with your growing vocabulary and expanding knowledge. You can now proudly mimic the sound of any animal I can think of that makes a recognizable noise (what sound does a squirrel, badger, deer make? These we just don't talk about....)

In the evenings, when it's time for bed, we head up the stairs to begin our routine of brushing our teeth. You are good for us as you INSIST that we ALL brush our teeth at the SAME TIME. If one of us is missing - YOUR DADDY! - you will yell out DA-DA! until he arrives to participate in this event.

When he's not there, you call out for him anyways, but leave off after one attempt.

When he IS there and arrives to participate in the family brushing, you point to the cabinet and say "Daddy, PAPE!"

Pape.

That's right.

SO CUTE, but it took me SO LONG to try to figure out what it was you were saying because frequently you would say the word WITH the brush IN YOUR MOUTH, making it very hard to understand.

I now have deciphered that you are saying: Paste, but in a much better way than anyone else in the world has figured out and I was just sitting here thinking of your tiny voice saying: "Daddeeee - Pape! Pape, daddeee, pape! - and a smile crept on my face and suddenly, I can't wait for the sun to set and night to come.

I love you!

Love,

Mommy

P.S. - Exciting news today! We learned that your Aunt Erin is carrying a baby boy! Another BOY COUSIN for you to play with! I hope you will be as inseparable with him as you are with your sweet cousin, Cal, honey!

No comments: