These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Bee-Baa free at last (except for naps and nighttime)

Jack,

Yesterday was our first day of instituting a new policy of no Bee-Baa's during waking hours. Bee-baa's are now confined to sleep times only and the reason that I gave you is that binky's are for babies, and you are a big boy now. You weren't happy about it and initially cried hard for it, but I stuck to my guns and, by the end of the day, the rationale made sense to you and you understood that you could have it when you went to bed but not during wake up time.

That went SO much easier than I had anticipated that it almost makes me nervous. It's like I'm waiting for a bee-baa backlash, but deep down, I really don't think it's going to come.

You are understanding so much more now and communicating so much, that I think you really get it.

One thing that you've started doing lately which is SO adorable is that you will say something that you want - like a toy you want or a movie you want to watch and, when I repeat the word back to you to make sure I understood it right, you say "ooooooookaaaaaaay" like you are grudgingly agreeing with my suggestion and humoring me. It's so grown up and hilarious that it shocked me into stunned silence the first time you did it.

Now, I giggle and ask your Daddy "Did you hear what Jack just said? Did you? He said: tooow, and I said "Cars?" and he said "oooooookaaaay". Isn't that funny?"

I'm sure you are convinced by now that you have to talk reeeeeeeallllyyyyy slllllooooooooowlllleee for Mommmmmeeeeee because obviously there is something wrong with me that I must repeat every interaction that we have as though it's the funniest thing I've heard in my life. :)

Love,

Mommy

No comments: