These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Friday, March 09, 2007

Like Father - Like Mother

Jack,

The other day I picked you up from Grandma Rose's and she said:

"Watch this"

She took out a picture of your Daddy when he was just a little muchkin like you, but maybe just a weeee bit older and asked you who it was.

And, just like you these days, you wouldn't say. No. You knew you had said it before and you knew the answer that you wanted to give, but - no. As an expression of your first amendment rights, you decided to remain silent.

She swore to me over and over that you had been identifying that picture as "Jaaaack" all day - and I believe it. MAN, do you look like your Daddy. The main difference being that your Daddy had a LOT more hair than you do when he was young. It was like a blond fro. I mean - REALLY. Check it out for yourself.

Your hair, on the other hand, has been coming in SO slowly that you still haven't had your first haircut and I don't see the need to schedule it anytime soon.

I see your Daddy in you through your appearance and through your intelligence. You pick things up SO quickly. Yesterday at that park, I was finishing a sentence with the word "shameful" - don't ask me why. I don't even remember WHAT I was talking about that would require me to use such a word, but I know I did because you said "shaaaamflllllll". I thought - Oh, crap. Not something I want you to say, because HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THAT? I would never tell my child he's shameful, but if you start saying it, people will think it's because you are hearing it.

worry worry
frett, frett
stew, stew

Where do I see myself in you? I definitely see me in your - let's call it - zest for life. You are a passionate child. You want what you want when you want it. And that means now. Right this minute. Hurry.

I can understand. I've never been much on this delayed gratification thing either.

Lately, though, I'm seeing it more and more. I was changing you the other day and you were DONE WITH IT. Getting up now, Momma, okay? Stop messing with me, momma - I'm DONE, can't you see that? I dealt with this by saying without even hearing myself "Wait wait wait wait wait wait!"

You were equally anxious about escaping, so you kept struggling, but started insisting "WAIT WAIT WAIT WAITWAITWAIT WAAAAAIT!!!!"

I think your father almost choked on his soda because we must have looked like Me and Mini Me struggling with our two impatient personalities. It's a good thing that he DID hold it in, though, because we both have fiery tempers, too.

Yours is mostly triggered by frustration when you can't do something or when you are tired or hungry.

Again.

I can understand.

So - you really are a combination of me and Daddy. Probably the last thing you'll want to consider when you get older, but I don't think you mind so much now. It's fun to see you developing, Jack! YOU'RE ALMOST TWO! I can't believe it! I'm so excited! I LOVE YOU!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: